7 Things Every Successful Medical Device Sales Rep Needs To Know
The knowledge required for medical device sales reps to succeed is constantly expanding, and sales training won?t be enough for them to keep up. A post on the Business 2 Community blog nails all the points about why reps must continuously stay up-to-date with the medical device industry, including medical device industry trends, regulations and competition.
Medical device sales CRM systems can help by bringing the information that reps are typically searching for directly into the system. It allows users to easily keep up with industry news or trends and can even send alerts about a competitor based on news articles or social media posts.
The best part is the system captures all this data from multiple sources and puts it in one place within the medical device sales CRM system. That means busy medical device sales reps don?t have to spend hours searching on the Internet for news or topics that are important to them and their customers.
The Business 2 Community article refers to an anecdote about a ?Book of Knowledge? ? not an actual publication, but a metaphor to describe the variety of information sales reps need to have at their disposal. The article lists seven extremely important things for medical devices sales reps to know from the ?Book of Knowledge.?
- Who does what: Reps have to be familiar with the responsibilities and concerns of physicians, staff and administrators.
- Medical knowledge: Reps should be up-to-date with the latest medical device technology, anatomy and studies relevant to their devices.
- The competition: Reps must understand how their competitors? devices work.
- The hospital: Reps need to know the rules for visiting labs and operating rooms.
- Issues and ethics: Reps should be knowledgeable about areas such as FDA regulation and health care reform, as well as ethical standards such as Advanced Medical Technology Association (AdvaMed) standards.
- Economics: Reps should know how money flows through hospitals and the health care system.
- Medical device sales skills: Reps must always be revising their approach to keep up with customers and medical device trends.
Keeping reps informed about everything they need to know requires input from sales trainers, managers, marketing and IT, the post explains.
How does your company keep reps up-to-date on everything they need to know? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Article originally posted on our CRM for Medical Device Organizations website.